Data Science and Machine Intelligence (DSMI) Lab, established in 2015 under Advanced Analytics Institute, University Technology Sydney, is dedicated to research excellence and industry innovation across academia and industry, aligning with the UTS research priority areas in data science and artificial intelligence. The DSMI lab has intensively researched on topics of artificial intelligence, behavioural modelling, social computing, recommender systems, text mining and NLP, predictive analytics and prescriptive analytics, visualisation, causality discovery and inference, securing a number of national competitive research grants such as Australian Research Council Discovery and Linkage Projects, Cooperative Research Centre Project, and publishing numerous papers in top data science and artificial intelligence journals and conferences. Since 2015, the lab has received over $6millions research income from funding bodies, government agencies, corporates, and private section.
In addition, DSMI lab is renowned for quality and industry-focus. As part of the vibrant and rigorous research culture at UTS, our mission is to ensure that the work we have done has a transformative impact in society and industry. The lab has successfully delivered or undergo a number of industry contract projects for taxpayer behaviour compliance, customer churn prediction, customer call-log and personality mining, retirement readiness indexing, Ai-enabled underwriting, Quality Assurance, patient triaging and cohort mining, solar electricity generation and dynamic price forecasting, covid-19 social and economic impact analysis, some of which have been implemented and deployed in real business operationalisation. As a result of impact and recognition, the team alongside its industry partners has received a number of research and industry prizes and awards at national and international levels, such as
· Australian Top-10 Analytics Leaders
· Efma-Accenture Innovation in Insurance Awards
· Australian Computer Society Digital Disruptors winners
· Australian Information Industry Association awards
· Australasian Database Conference best paper awards.
An introduction of DSMI Lab could be found at IEEE Intelligent Informatics Bulletin October 2020 Vol.20 No.1: https://www.comp.hkbu.edu.hk/~cib/2020/Profile1.pdf
Key Research Areas
· Data Science and Artificial Intelligence
· Web mining, behavioural modelling, and social Computing
· Recommender systems and Explainability
· Representation learning, Knowledge Graph
· Text mining and NLP, software code analysis, summarisation and retrieval, misinformation detection
· Predictive analytics, time series forecasting
· Prescriptive analytics, causality discovery